Multimedia

Author Topic: 3D printed titanium parts  (Read 257182 times)

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3D printed titanium parts
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »
Well given the fairly limitless design possibilites adative manufacture allows, charges effort does look a bit unimaginative and casting like, especially in comparison to some of the other whacky shit up there?

I've heard gartners hype cycle mentioned regularly with regards to rapid prototyping, its a graphical representation of the publics reception of new technology over time, starting off from zero, with expectations growing hysterically, in our case sweating over entirely printed bikes, thoughts of downloading the latest cult stem off bit torrent and printing it in your bedroom, etc. Look theres 3d printing on the crest of the wave....

Then it all comes crashing down when you finally get your hands on one of the consumer products shown above and you realise how primitive the are in comparison to your £40 inkjet printer next to it. Oh and your printed frame you outsourced will cost more than your house and likely wont have the tolerances or strength of a bog standard tubular one. So that takes us to the very bottom, but eventually technology catches up and some of the original ideas can be realised and it levels off to a sensible state... were still a very long way from all this yet though, wouldnt go getting too excited avpbout it for now.

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 05:06:56 PM »

Looks like it has fairly clear tool paths on it?

Offline alaskun

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 03:55:11 AM »

Looks like it has fairly clear tool paths on it?
you're not paying attention...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A10XEZvkgbY
fully-articulated, moving electron beam welding gun deposits metal, layer by layer, until the part is complete and ready for finish machining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7bUttlvMgE

here's another pretty big object that I've just seen for the first time...
https://www.sme.org/MEMagazine/Article.aspx?id=20251&taxid=1418
[img]picture replaced/edited by some nickelodeon perv ~march 2016[img]
the article is still good. maybe it's a tinypic/photobucket problem... but that's fucked
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:02:08 PM by alaskun »

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 05:10:18 AM »
Ah... guilty. I'm sure they arent structurally, but the parts do look rough as arseholes before they're machined? I figured it was more like laser sintering from a powder, rather than just a robotic welding arm....

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 07:41:41 AM »
I don't really know much about this whole 3d printing thing, but I saw this

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/flying-machines-3d-printed-titanium-frame-39791/
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
Quote from: KillSeth;3590684
G, would you be able to do that honeycomb interior with a cast part?

In the video of the dropouts he specifically claims that they couldnt have made those dropouts any other way and yet that is rubbish. You could investment cast them for a relatively low tool cost.

i clicked on this topic specifically to see the rant that i knew you would put in here.  You dont know that for a fact, that is speculation.  Just because you have some sort of cut rate 3-d printer at home doesnt make you any kind of expert in the field, nor does reading about it in forums or internet articles.  Any time i see a topic about something new that you are doing it is you talking about how it is the best thing around and every time i see a topic about a new process that you didnt adopt it is bashed on or questioned.  get over yourself.

So you are freely admitting that your only reason for posting in this thread is to troll?... and you call MY post a rant?

:)
G.

is that not exactly what i called you out for doing.  G views thread topics... "what can i try to correct people on"

Yes it is, but:-

1. You are wrong.

2. You are being a troll, and a hypocrite and adding nothing of any worth to the thread.

Also, my post was a year and a half ago so if you managed to go this long without showing any interest then it rather suggests that it isnt a subject you are very interested in. I very much doubt that this website needs your half-arsed, 17month late "policing" of my input, so why not get over YOURself?

G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline farva

• View Profile
    • http://www.flatestatebmx.4t.com
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 11:33:12 PM »
Quote from: KillSeth;3590684
G, would you be able to do that honeycomb interior with a cast part?

In the video of the dropouts he specifically claims that they couldnt have made those dropouts any other way and yet that is rubbish. You could investment cast them for a relatively low tool cost.

i clicked on this topic specifically to see the rant that i knew you would put in here.  You dont know that for a fact, that is speculation.  Just because you have some sort of cut rate 3-d printer at home doesnt make you any kind of expert in the field, nor does reading about it in forums or internet articles.  Any time i see a topic about something new that you are doing it is you talking about how it is the best thing around and every time i see a topic about a new process that you didnt adopt it is bashed on or questioned.  get over yourself.

So you are freely admitting that your only reason for posting in this thread is to troll?... and you call MY post a rant?

G.

is that not exactly what i called you out for doing.  G views thread topics... "what can i try to correct people on"

Yes it is
thanks

Offline alaskun

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:43:47 AM by alaskun »

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 07:23:29 AM »
When you read that, its actually just the seat tower thats exceeds stringent standards (din? perhaps not massively demanding?) by a factor of 4, whole and incredible, times....

Offline alaskun

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
I just want to see ti sprockets priced the same as aluminum ones again...

When did that ever happen?

"World's first 3D-printed titanium bike is super strong and incredibly light -
Empire Cycles' MX-6 prototype is a third lighter than normal metal bike frames, and four times stronger than the most stringent tests demand – this is the future of pedal power
"

At the risk of bringing down Farva's ire... bonded titanium frames dont have the best track record of staying bonded... having said that, if they were smart they could have 3D printed the joints with a really big surface area to maximise the bond area...

G.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline alaskun

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »

RNC sprockets were priced pretty close to most aluminum ones, and they were much thicker than the more expensive profile ti stuff. 2004ish?
 I figure by the time sintering/powder is widespread enough for companies like that to have a hand in it, aluminum sprockets will be 80+ dollars, and I could see the ti stuff fitting into that range...

Offline Boomhauer

• Least Favourite JUGGALO by far
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »

RNC sprockets were priced pretty close to most aluminum ones, and they were much thicker than the more expensive profile ti stuff. 2004ish?
 I figure by the time sintering/powder is widespread enough for companies like that to have a hand in it, aluminum sprockets will be 80+ dollars, and I could see the ti stuff fitting into that range...

Hey, if this is the same ol Alaskan, do you still have that video of you doing the whiplash down stairs in the snow?
Quote from: Bink;3116353
Yeah, f**k that.  Grind everything.
Quote from: skateparkrider;3612141
The gussets are awesome.  My wife has been needing my name carved into her for about a decade.

Offline alaskun

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 04:55:04 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9DH8SYRTG8

were you the guy who had a hoffman dirty130 for sale? still got it?

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 05:29:27 AM »

That was one manufacturer selling direct and possibly using ti plate that he had got cheap because it was recycled from another purpose (not that this was ever verified or a bad thing). Its not like Ti stuff in general has ever been a great price, though it was much cheaper than it is now I admit.

G.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 05:29:27 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello