Multimedia

Author Topic: odyssey quik slic cable  (Read 28957 times)

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
odyssey quik slic cable
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »
Quote from: fortytwobikes;3580257
´
This is pretty interesting! I've always used my springs to get my pads to grab the rim at the exact same time, I guess that is not possible with this setup? Also, is there a way to adjust the tension? Sorry if this has been answered or shown in pics somewhere else (I didn't look into it, sorry)!

The idea is to simplify set-up as much as possible, so there is zero adjustment. Bikes these days are pretty well made, so the days of wonky bosses and bent back ends should be behind us, and as long as the bosses are correctly positioned everything should be fit and forget.

We have had these for a while and we haven't yet seen a frame or wheel that is too far out of line for the brake to work right. On my bike they went on perfect and stay perfectly centred and do contact the rim both sides at once. Because of the geometry of where the spring is, it does tend to centre well and move evenly.
People who are obsessive about their brakes and need the pads to contact at EXACTLY the same time every time (like flatlanders, if there are any out there still running brakes anyway) will want to stick with the individual spring brakes and we will still be making those. But for people who just want a fuss free brake that works, these are ideal, they are also a good bet if you regularly put brakes on for a few rides then take them off, since there are no springs in the pivots they take seconds to install and remove.

Especially if paired with the QuikSlic... (to return to the subject..)

:)
G.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:11:05 PM by G »
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
odyssey quik slic cable
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »
Quote from: Austin Tasseltine;3580185

http://gsport.co.uk/custom/G%27s_bike/gsbike_home.html

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
odyssey quik slic cable
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »
That Springfield brake looks sweet too, hadn't seen that in production before.

Offline laloest33

• View Profile
odyssey quik slic cable
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 09:58:08 PM »
Quote from: milhous;3580172
Everytime I see your bike it makes me miss that frame!!

haha!  thanks man.  i've tried switching it out a few times but i keep going back to it. she still rides great.

Offline laloest33

• View Profile
odyssey quik slic cable
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
Quote from: G;3580100
^^^ Really sorry you had such a nightmare. My guess is that the hole was drilled too high up, which means that instead of tightening against the bottom of the clamp body, the cable was just being pushed down the hole... If you can swing by OTX with it and show it to Chris or Taj or someone that would be awesome and they can hook you up with a replacement or something for your trouble.... or just leave it at Empire..

G.

No problem!  I'm just glad i got it sorted for now.  I love the stiffness the cable offers and was bummed when i thought it wouldn't work with my set up.  I'd definitely like to swing by OTX.  I'll bring what's left of the cable with me.

Offline laloest33

• View Profile
odyssey quik slic cable
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »
Quote from: skateparkrider;3580109
Swing by the office if you are ever down south.  I totally forgot you are from the Austin area.   If you still have my cell phone number just shoot me a text first.  We have extra knarps and even extra Quik Slics laying around the office.  I can try to help you get rid of the double barrel adjuster situation you are working with.

That would be super cool man. I live south so that would work out. i think i still have your number, is it the 319 number?

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
Re: odyssey quik slic cable
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
G, any thoughts on Kink's new offering?: http://www.kinkbmx.com/parts/cables/1-piece-cable/

Is there any perceived change in performance by putting the adjustability at the brake arm-side of the straddle as opposed to the hanger-side?

I will say that I have been an avid user of the OG Quik Slic since it came out. I love how easy it is and how stiff braking becomes. I recently switched frames and the single-piece Quik Slic no longer worked for me (both options were too long). I purchased an adjustable Quik Slic and though the shortest option worked in terms of length, but the performance was abysmal. It felt like there was a ton of friction between the cable and the housing and it totally killed my brake performance. Not sure if I got a bad one or not, but needless to say I am very bummed that I can no longer use the 1-piece version.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:16:14 PM by KillSeth »

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 06:11:53 PM »
Kink has no shame.  Cool anal beads though
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »
Still doesn't beat my spoke straddle set up.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »
Damn Kink you used to be cool!

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
I have a brand new, still in package, Kink axle from '95 or so. who wants it?

I like the idea of a single cable/hanger. the anal beads seems like a good way to adjust the length.

Offline Louis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
After directly comparing TWO of the new Odyssey Linear cables; 'Quick Slic' & standalone regular 'Linear Slic', to the old OG 'Linear Slic Kable' version sitting on my shelf yesterday. I can say definitively; Odyssey... YOU DONE FUCKED UP. Your new cables are shit compared to the OG ones in terms of HOUSING flex (when pulling brakes hard). It's painfully obvious you changed your Linear housing for the worse.

What gives? Please fix them. I put my OG housing back on yesterday after trying out two of your brand new 'Linear' cables, it's sad. They no longer remind me of upgrading to stainless brake lines on a car.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:22:49 PM by Louis »

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »
Okay, for anyone who actually cares I ended up buying the Kink cable to see what it's about.

My thoughts:

Cons

1) The brake housing is too long. This is an issue since it's a one-piece cable and cannot be easily shortened. I'd say they could stand to lose 3-4 inches at least.

2) The housing is noticeably slimmer and less stiff than Odyssey linear cables. I suspect this is not a good sign of things to come.

Pros

1) Kink uses extra long ferrules, which I like.

2) Having the adjustment on the brake arm-side of the hanger seems to be working fine.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
G, any thoughts on Kink's new offering?: http://www.kinkbmx.com/parts/cables/1-piece-cable/

Is there any perceived change in performance by putting the adjustability at the brake arm-side of the straddle as opposed to the hanger-side?

Looks like a shitty copy to me, have to see what the patent agent thinks. Aside from that, Kink have always had very crappy outer and I doubt that this is any different.

I will say that I have been an avid user of the OG Quik Slic since it came out. I love how easy it is and how stiff braking becomes. I recently switched frames and the single-piece Quik Slic no longer worked for me (both options were too long). I purchased an adjustable Quik Slic and though the shortest option worked in terms of length, but the performance was abysmal. It felt like there was a ton of friction between the cable and the housing and it totally killed my brake performance. Not sure if I got a bad one or not, but needless to say I am very bummed that I can no longer use the 1-piece version.

Did you lube it well? Cables always need lots of lube and a little time to wear in. It should have been much the same as the one-piece version. The original should have come with a very neat little nipple clamp to let you cut it down at the lever end which would be another option.

G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »
Wow, Kink's straddle cable and barrel adjustment placing looks way, way to long. I can tell right now that would not work on my frame and brake.
Vitalbmx: Cellmember
Bmxforum: Cellmember
Bmxmuseum: Cellmember
Ref\'s: http://www.bmx-forum.com/u/64216/cellmember

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special