Multimedia

Author Topic: Quick Questions  (Read 792964 times)

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Questions
« Reply #975 on: March 23, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
I've had sidewall problems with conti tires before, grand prix something-or-anothers, haterskins, ultra sports. all sidewall blowouts or weird deformed casings after a few hundred miles, never noticed threads like that coming off though. but i have had it happen on other tires, no failures in those cases though
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 23, 2014, 10:44:27 PM »
I just smoked a joint for the first time in months so bear with me if these doesn't make any sense.

I remember reading somewhere that the pressure equivalent of typical tarmac road surface on a hot day is about 95psi. If that is true, wouldn't it mean that running 100+psi in your tires actually increases rolling resistance from the road deforming more than the tires?

Brooklynrider

« Reply #977 on: March 23, 2014, 11:12:59 PM »
I've read several articles saying that 23mm tires are in fact slower than 25mm tires because the 25mm tire absorbs the shocks of the road better. Same applies to psi.

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 24, 2014, 04:29:34 AM »
I've been running 90 psi in 25c tires for a while now and much prefer it to harder pressures, especially due to the current state of the roads.

Also, my Schwalbe Duranos are doing exactly the same thing Tom
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #979 on: March 24, 2014, 07:22:05 AM »
So I've noticed this is happening on both of my road bike tyres, some kind of thread keeps coming away round the entire tyre. They're Conti GP4000s. Is it a problem meaning they need replacing to avoid some kind of blow out? If so I'll be pissed off, cant have done more than 1000 miles on these!

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about that. The main structural casing threads run sort of helically around the tyre, that looks more like a thread from the sort of "tape" they put over the bead which isnt really structural. Probably a good idea to pump the tyre up 30% above your normal running pressure as a test, but if it survives that OK you should be fine.
Ride it at your own risk though.
:)
G. 
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 24, 2014, 08:39:21 AM »
I just had a Conti Gator Hardshell fail in that exact place, I'll take a pic tonight.

Couldn't work it out, was a tiny nick in the tube and I couldn't see any foreign objects so popped a new tube in and it did the same 100m down the road. The tube must have bulged out slightly from the hole where the sidewall split and got pinched.

First ever puncture from these tyres in 18 months and around 3000 miles in so not too bad. might try patching up the wall as the tread is still fine, not worn much at all.

Offline _tom_

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tom_the_beast
« Reply #981 on: March 24, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
Hmm I think I'll start wearing a helmet on the road bike now then haha, dangerous enough as it is without the added risk of my tyre popping. I need new wheels soon anyway so I'll probably just swap the tyres at the same time.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 24, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »
2 quick questions cause im building up my morsecode.

front brakes yay or nay?

is 36-10 gearing too wild?

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 24, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 24, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »
I was never a fan of my conti gator skins, rode like shit and then fell apart.

Hugh - Maybe but probs not really.

Ride it for a bit, won't kill you
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 24, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
Yeah fuck it 36-10 is it then!

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #986 on: March 24, 2014, 05:06:25 PM »
So I've noticed this is happening on both of my road bike tyres, some kind of thread keeps coming away round the entire tyre. They're Conti GP4000s. Is it a problem meaning they need replacing to avoid some kind of blow out? If so I'll be pissed off, cant have done more than 1000 miles on these!

Probably a stupid question but... you are sure that the brake isnt rubbing the tyre? Sometimes the brake can flex so much under heavy load that the pad moves up into the tyre but you cant see it in the stand...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline _tom_

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tom_the_beast
« Reply #987 on: March 24, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
Not sure, I'll check when I go for a ride tomorrow. Cheers!

Offline RAILS!

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 28, 2014, 06:45:52 AM »
Sorry guys, ruining your mtb conversation here,

Bonedeth Bomber Bars. Anybody ridden them? I'm looking at the 8.5's in particular.

How'd they feel?

Quote from: Liam;3498857
You need to calm down before you end up eating your own sh*t in a cave with a tinfoil hat on.

Offline GUMP_

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 28, 2014, 08:56:43 AM »
Have t ridden the bomber but the deadman bars are the best feeling bar I have run

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #989 on: March 28, 2014, 08:56:43 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special