Multimedia

Author Topic: Quick Questions  (Read 784584 times)

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
Quick Questions
« Reply #315 on: June 30, 2012, 08:59:37 PM »
how do i know if my elementry is too tight or not tight enough...i mean i still want it to be able to slip if i land hard enough...

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Quick Questions
« Reply #316 on: July 01, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »
Don't you just tighten it until the bolt is at the end of the wedge? Any further and it's overtightened or something.

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Quick Questions
« Reply #317 on: July 01, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
Tighten with normal length 8mm, stop when palm hurts

Offline _tom_

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tom_the_beast
Quick Questions
« Reply #318 on: July 02, 2012, 11:43:04 AM »
What are the best pads for black/worn down rims? Can't afford or justify getting a chrome one at the minute. My brakes are shit at the minute. The caliper is just a cheap Rush one as well, will I ever get it working well with that?

Pat

Quick Questions
« Reply #319 on: July 02, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »
I have been having problems with my hands going numb or hurting while riding my Bianchi San Jose. I am riding the stock stem and bars. I was thinking of trying a shorter stem and cutting my bars to bull horns instead of drop bars. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Quick Questions
« Reply #320 on: July 02, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
Quote from: _tom_;3573676
What are the best pads for black/worn down rims? Can't afford or justify getting a chrome one at the minute. My brakes are shit at the minute. The caliper is just a cheap Rush one as well, will I ever get it working well with that?

Clear ones work best but most make loads of noise.

Offline _tom_

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tom_the_beast
Quick Questions
« Reply #321 on: July 02, 2012, 08:13:44 PM »
Quote from: OdsyPat;3573678
I have been having problems with my hands going numb or hurting while riding my Bianchi San Jose. I am riding the stock stem and bars. I was thinking of trying a shorter stem and cutting my bars to bull horns instead of drop bars. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Are you new to road biking? I found I had this problem when I first started but it went away after a while.. try moving your hands around more or maybe try some specialized BG padded gloves, I've heard they can help. I almost always ride on the hoods on my road bike, never seem to get problems.

Pat

Quick Questions
« Reply #322 on: July 03, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
I am relatively new, I have had this bike for a while but it doesn't get a massive amount of use. I usually ride on top of the drops basically where hoods would be, if the guy I bought the bike from gave me the brakes.

Offline Rusty

• A22's Loverboy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Quick Questions
« Reply #323 on: July 22, 2012, 11:42:19 AM »
would Primo warranty my powerbite arm for pedal wobble even if I warrantied them once before and I don't have a reciept haha. Or should I just JB weld the pedal boss?

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Quick Questions
« Reply #324 on: July 22, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »

Offline JohnW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Quick Questions
« Reply #325 on: July 22, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »
Quote from: Rusty;3575388
would Primo warranty my powerbite arm for pedal wobble even if I warrantied them once before and I don't have a reciept haha. Or should I just JB weld the pedal boss?

Probably not, they wouldn't warranty mine or sell me replacement pedal bosses. The crank arms are fine but I can't get bosses for them, and I'd pay money to fix them. But after the responses I got, I will never buy anything Primo again.
My LAF
Quote from: super_chief;3602916
I put my nuts on that axle before it shipped, FYI

Offline Rusty

• A22's Loverboy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Quick Questions
« Reply #326 on: July 25, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
Can the cult os v2 fit a 30t?

Offline Jens M

• Depressed Member
    • View Profile
    • Website
Quick Questions
« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2012, 03:22:07 AM »
Tips to use as a spacer for the sprocket bolt? Got about a 3mm gap, so I can't tighten the sprocket bolt, or the sprocket wouldn't be straight.

Or should I just ask the LBS?

EDIOT

Quick Questions
« Reply #328 on: July 30, 2012, 03:55:17 AM »
Quote from: Jens M;3577246
Tips to use as a spacer for the sprocket bolt? Got about a 3mm gap, so I can't tighten the sprocket bolt, or the sprocket wouldn't be straight.

Or should I just ask the LBS?

i've only seen a sprocket bolt spacer once since i started riding. most places don't really have them (never hurt to ask tho, of course). a few options off the top of my head:

1. i'm assuming you spaced out the sprocket from the crank arm at the moment? it's good for alignment yes, but an ill fitted sprocket bolt/space will give you more problems. go the second best route of spacing the sprocket out instead

2. machine one from a small diameter spacer, if you have access to the tools. it's not hard to drill a hole to correct size, will need a bit more sophistication to make it 3mm thick tho - and if you're already doing this, you might as well consider option 3

3. machine a single unit spacer. basically just a flat piece of metal at consistent thickness, then you drill one hole for the crankarm axle and one for the sprocket bolt. it'd be nice and clean this way, and you'll ensure the two areas are spaced the same amount. *do note to use steel/7075 tho, i've used 6xxx series before, worked well for a while but the crankarm axle hole experienced some crushing.

Offline Jens M

• Depressed Member
    • View Profile
    • Website
Quick Questions
« Reply #329 on: July 30, 2012, 05:56:08 AM »
Quote from: EDIOT;3577249
i've only seen a sprocket bolt spacer once since i started riding. most places don't really have them (never hurt to ask tho, of course). a few options off the top of my head:

1. i'm assuming you spaced out the sprocket from the crank arm at the moment? it's good for alignment yes, but an ill fitted sprocket bolt/space will give you more problems. go the second best route of spacing the sprocket out instead

2. machine one from a small diameter spacer, if you have access to the tools. it's not hard to drill a hole to correct size, will need a bit more sophistication to make it 3mm thick tho - and if you're already doing this, you might as well consider option 3

3. machine a single unit spacer. basically just a flat piece of metal at consistent thickness, then you drill one hole for the crankarm axle and one for the sprocket bolt. it'd be nice and clean this way, and you'll ensure the two areas are spaced the same amount. *do note to use steel/7075 tho, i've used 6xxx series before, worked well for a while but the crankarm axle hole experienced some crushing.

Cheers man! Oh yeah, I might have had a spacer on axle between the arm and the sprocket. Weird that if I didn't notice it when mounting the sprocket though. I'll check when I get home.

Got Flybikes v1 cranks and a 25t Odyssey Vermont sprocket with adapter to fit the cranks (the adapter adds maybe 1mm of gap). But all this was working alright with my 36t wtp sprocket.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

Quick Questions
« Reply #329 on: July 30, 2012, 05:56:08 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special