Multimedia

Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today? (v2)  (Read 1841672 times)

Offline Topsey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
What did you do to your bike today? (v2)
« Reply #2715 on: January 22, 2013, 02:01:58 PM »
Pat damn that sucks. When i ordered mine i actually asked Tom whether it was the new one or not. If it wasnt i dont think idve had it, just doesnt look right does it. Good luck with the amazon one!

Offline TCbmx.

• View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: January 22, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
Quote from: Sasha;3626216
let us say it's anodised (I'm doing some stuff soon that I would like to be polished, not just raw.)

If the part is anoed then there is a few ways you can strip it, The best way I have found is dollar store oven cleaner. spray the part let it sit for no more than 15 min and scrub the hell out of the part with fine steel wool and then rinse the part and repeat until the part is a dull raw color similar to this.

********Be careful not to leave the part in the oven cleaner too long because it can cause the aluminum to start to pit .
and then use some kind of polishing compound and a buffing ball or a rag.
you can keep polishing with the compound as much as you want.

This was my end result. but I could have kept on with the polishing but I was lazy and quit.

I even did the bolts and cones.

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: January 22, 2013, 08:02:44 PM »
broke a spoke trying flat 3s in the garage
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline ralph wiggum

• View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: January 22, 2013, 09:30:17 PM »
1.95 tire on the rear of the 24" Dirt Bike and a new headset in the ltf. Tried installing my new driver on the Dirt Bros but the pawls were bottoming out against the hub shell. Outermost bearing was sticking out a bit as well. Guess I'll have to call Profile in the morning.

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: January 22, 2013, 09:34:04 PM »
patched my front tube again and went and rode it for a bit

Offline ssteinbr

• View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »
Installed a 33t profile chainwheel and swapped to an 11t driver on my dirtbike.  Oh and busted out my Native BMX pads!  

Offline slvtn

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2721 on: January 23, 2013, 03:29:36 AM »
Haven't touched mine for a few months now due to shit weather. Probably will take it to the next gas station soon to get some air. Riding with like 5 psi wouldn't be agood idea I guess.
I couldn\'t tell if she was wet or the pasta was just beyond al-dente.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #2722 on: January 23, 2013, 06:03:04 AM »
You really shouldn't let oven cleaner get onto the bearing seats. It works by eating away the aluminium so you will be fucking up the bearing seat tolerances very quick. Decorative anodising (like hubs use) should buff off pretty fast with a polishing wheel and you are not going to fuck the bearing seats.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: January 23, 2013, 07:25:57 AM »
While you are talking about anodizing, G, if I remove the paint off a 700c rim, and leave the bare alu, will it corrode or should it be ok?
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: January 23, 2013, 07:31:17 AM »
Quote from: TCbmx.;3626364
If the part is anoed then there is a few ways you can strip it, The best way I have found is dollar store oven cleaner. spray the part let it sit for no more than 15 min and scrub the hell out of the part with fine steel wool and then rinse the part and repeat until the part is a dull raw color similar to this.

for example pipe cleaner works as well.

everything that includs sodium hydroxide (NaOH) works...

Quote from: G;3626452
You really shouldn't let oven cleaner get onto the bearing seats. It works by eating away the aluminium so you will be fucking up the bearing seat tolerances very quick. Decorative anodising (like hubs use) should buff off pretty fast with a polishing wheel and you are not going to fuck the bearing seats.

:)
G.

greasing the bearing seats helps ;-)

Edit: works with aluminium only
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:38:08 AM by Chris »

Offline RyCon707

• View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: January 23, 2013, 05:49:51 PM »
Quote from: Kinchy;3626465
While you are talking about anodizing, G, if I remove the paint off a 700c rim, and leave the bare alu, will it corrode or should it be ok?

On rims the eyelets will be in the way so you won't be able to do a nice job around them and they'll all have a halo of funky looking nastiness. On top of that the oven cleaner is a caustic soda that if you don't clean away totally will continue to eat at the metal until the caustic soda is used up. And the surfaces left behind are prone to the white corrosion that occurs with bare raw aluminium. For example, around the eyelets (again) or inside the channels of the extrusion where you can't rinse very well. If not rinsed well enough you run the risk of premature failure at one or more eyelets or in some other area due to more of the metal being dissolved than just the anodizing.

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: January 23, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »
stoked on having this chain, and soon being able to match it up with the 25t MDS I just scored. My bike will be at an all time high of grindability

Offline TCbmx.

• View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: January 24, 2013, 12:33:15 AM »
Quote from: bluebmx;3626599
stoked on having this chain, and soon being able to match it up with the 25t MDS I just scored. My bike will be at an all time high of grindability

Did it fit fine?

Brooklynrider

« Reply #2728 on: January 24, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »
Somehow stripped the axle on my coastersaurus. Couldn't get the locknut back on to make it rideable. Back to to the primo mix for now.

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: January 24, 2013, 09:18:55 AM »
Quote from: TCbmx.;3626608
Did it fit fine?

i didnt get the MDS yet, so I dont know. I did compare the width of a shadow and the khe and it doesnt look any wider, so it should be fine.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #2729 on: January 24, 2013, 09:18:55 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello