Multimedia

Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today? (v2)  (Read 1875810 times)

Offline macandcheese

• View Profile
What did you do to your bike today? (v2)
« Reply #2010 on: October 10, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »
Quote from: mrjimyjohn;3597071
It uses 6802s in the shell, the same bearings usually used in drivers, if you're careful they might survive, but it's probably best to have a set of bearings on hand...

where do you take this information? i have a remix. haven't done a singe fucking thing to it for over a year. did a huge 180 drop and messed up my back real hard, my ribcage got heavily out of true (broke like 4 spokes or something). not a damn thing happened to the hub. not to mention all the other stuff i have done and just daily rididing/commuting.  so please, if you don't have any personal experience then stfu :) no offense though, im just saying.

i must say it skips sometimes though and that is kinda annoying. its nice and clean and on the inside and the all the springs seem to work well, dunno why its doing those small skips sometimes. still a pretty good hub though, it isn't very expensive and all the replacement parts are cheap too.

Offline mrjimyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: October 10, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
Quote from: macandcheese;3597128
where do you take this information? i have a remix. haven't done a singe fucking thing to it for over a year. did a huge 180 drop and messed up my back real hard, my ribcage got heavily out of true (broke like 4 spokes or something). not a damn thing happened to the hub. not to mention all the other stuff i have done and just daily rididing/commuting.  so please, if you don't have any personal experience then stfu :) no offense though, im just saying.

i must say it skips sometimes though and that is kinda annoying. its nice and clean and on the inside and the all the springs seem to work well, dunno why its doing those small skips sometimes. still a pretty good hub though, it isn't very expensive and all the replacement parts are cheap too.

I'm not saying the Remix is weak, or even that it's a bad hub, I'm saying that 6802 bearings are tiny, and in most cases, are really not very durable at all.
A friend of mine got a remix shortly after they came out, and if I remember correctly he was on his 3rd set of bearings when he got rid of it recently.

If you don't get any dirt or sand in there they should last most people a while, but I guess I'm just butthurt that Primo made such a shitty move with the bearings.
Bike Check

With enough lube and brute force, anything is possible.

Offline macandcheese

• View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: October 10, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »
eh, i must say i wanted to buy the og mix but it was sold out. the bearings are fine like i said but it kinda rolls slow. when im riding it, it feels good, but when you spin the wheel in hand it is kinda slow. but meh, since it hasn't given me any headaches and the driver bearings are perfect, i'd say it's a decent hub. always could be better though.

Offline vandalchad

• View Profile
    • http://www.vandalbikes.com
« Reply #2013 on: October 10, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
raised the seat so I could scooter around waaaaaay faster than crutches
everyone has a little secret he keeps, I light the fires while the city sleeps

Offline DontcallmeKenneth

• View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: October 10, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
Quote from: macandcheese;3597135
eh, i must say i wanted to buy the og mix but it was sold out. the bearings are fine like i said but it kinda rolls slow. when im riding it, it feels good, but when you spin the wheel in hand it is kinda slow. but meh, since it hasn't given me any headaches and the driver bearings are perfect, i'd say it's a decent hub. always could be better though.

Empire still has og mixes I think.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: October 10, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »
Quote from: Black Miguel;3597145
Empire still has og mixes I think.

This is a correct statement.

Offline RAILS!

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: October 10, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »
I bought a remix cos it was in the UK section and both my mix shells are dead, along with my axle and several bearings.

I have fucked wheels up hard before, i've owned various mixes in the last 5-6 years and can definitely vouch for their durability. I just jumped at the chance of getting an up-to-date wheel at a good price.

I'll just be careful with it and check all the bearings every few months, it can't be that bad and bearings are cheap anyway I daresay.
Quote from: Liam;3498857
You need to calm down before you end up eating your own sh*t in a cave with a tinfoil hat on.

Offline ron_weasley_T1

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: October 10, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
Got rid of my awful plastic seat/post combo & gone back to an oldskool Odyssey intac & shadow slim seat.

Post needs cutting down but will do that on the rebuild.

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: October 10, 2012, 04:11:05 PM »
Tree sequoia bars, just need some forks and cranks to ride but I eventually want the sprocket tires and pedals replaced.

Offline Topsey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: October 10, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »
Let me know how you get on with the Sequoias? I kinda want a pair but im thinking about getting some Merritt bars too, abit on the fence really.

• View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
I was too oddly enough I was tossing up the idea of demolition suburban bars since the v2s are under 29" wide. I better like the tree bars though haha. I also picked up one of those cinema vx rear wheels too so ill see how those work out.

Offline CMB

• View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: October 10, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Found a classic Fly sticker pack at the shop yesterday. Stoked.
refs: Alice Glass, laloest33, Rusty, mphelps, .SIN., milhous, jaymeatsack, CHROME_RIMS_YO, LittleDevil661, Piffery, Trvsty, Patty, toady, shutta, cb4130, Black Miguel, BGB, onewaystu, Bunky, arcadecycles, LeonLikesToRock & more!

Offline Meursault

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: October 10, 2012, 08:07:31 PM »

Finished building this bad boy up. Spent next to nothing compared to it's value.
BikeCheck

Quote from: Phil Medeep;3614847
I\'m on a temp ban till January 1st for stalking and bashing

Offline mrjimyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: October 10, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
Quote from: Meursault;3597301
Finished building this bad boy up. Spent next to nothing compared to it's value.

Out of curiosity, how much did that build cost you? looks like a really nice bike, but I know fuck all about road bikes...
Bike Check

With enough lube and brute force, anything is possible.

Offline Meursault

• View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: October 10, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »
Quote from: mrjimyjohn;3597304
Out of curiosity, how much did that build cost you? looks like a really nice bike, but I know fuck all about road bikes...

Well, I waited for parts to pop on craigslist that I wanted, then I would buy them.

I think I can go through most of it off the top of my head:

Wheels = $50 +$3 for 3 replacement spokes, craigslist
Tires = $25 each, wholesale
Tubes = $10 each, retail
Cassette & Chain = $40ish, retail hookup
Crankset & BB = $65, craigslist
Pedals = $80, wholesale
Bar Tape = $15, retail
Frame, Fork, and Seat post clamp = $120, Craigslist
Stem = $20
Bars = $25
Shifters = $135 for the set (Ultegra Rear and 105 Front), Craigslist
Derailleurs = $30 for the ultegra rear, $10 for the Dura-ace front
Seat Post = $100, retail
Headset = $50 retail
Seat = $80 wholesale
Cables = $20

Which would come out to about $900, but keep in mind I've been building this over two months, tires, tubes, stem, bars, pedals  and seat I already had, and a lot of this stuff came with extras, so I have extra Front derailleurs now, and couple little nick nacks. I enjoyed meeting all the random roadies on CL most though.

Also, keep in mind that I may have spent $900, but there's a lot of parts on here way better than what you'd find on a $1600 ride.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:41:42 PM by Meursault »
BikeCheck

Quote from: Phil Medeep;3614847
I\'m on a temp ban till January 1st for stalking and bashing

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #2024 on: October 10, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello