Multimedia

Author Topic: Post Your Edged Weapons Thread  (Read 157507 times)

Offline couch

• ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Post Your Edged Weapons Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »
Quote from: Kinchy;3381193
I think it is a reasonable question actually. What do you do with them? For instance, I carry a phone so I can call people/people can call me, a wallet for money, baccy and a lighter so I can smoke, and keys so I can open doors. At no point do I need to cut stuff outside of the kitchen.

I am actually genuinely interested as to what you cut.

Surely you could rub two sticks together to light something on fire, no? A lighter is convenient though, I understand.

I use my knife for various cutting throughout my day. I don't need to give you specifics.

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »
Your being pedantic. I asked a genuine question, because as I don't have any use for a knife I thought someone could tell me what they use theirs for. Wheelr gave a decent response which answered my question, and, as you would see in the knife debate thread, I took that in. You, however, couldn't manage that.
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline couch

• ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:34 PM »
Quote from: Kinchy;3381209
Your being pedantic. I asked a genuine question, because as I don't have any use for a knife I thought someone could tell me what they use theirs for. Wheelr gave a decent response which answered my question, and, as you would see in the knife debate thread, I took that in. You, however, couldn't manage that.

I posted in here before there. If you are that interested, honestly, I will answer your question.

I have so far today used mine to open a bag of dog food, cut a bagel in half, cut up some boxes here at work, sectioned a plastic cushion here at work for inspection, cut the wire tie off of a product I am working on, cut another bagel in half, stirred my coffee and cut open another package.

Offline Skypilot

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
Imo a knife could be compared to a watch, you don't need one but It's nice to have day to day, and was an essential object a couple decades ago.
A lot of craftsmanship goes into both.
As for carrying one everyday, remember that 50 years ago almost every man had a pocket knife on him, they're not for defense or to intimidate people, they are tools. Man's oldest tool.
I use mine to sharpen pencils, cut food on the go,  open caulking cartridges at work etc... I can honestly say that I use mine everyday, they're just practical.
I might sound cliché when I say it's better to have one and not need it than needing one and not having it (Cutting a jammed seat belt comes to mind).
I can see why carrying a gun shocks some of you but a knife? Come on, most of the guys who posted in this thread also have guns, they must have other reasons than defense or intimidation to carry one since the gun can serve that purpose.
Sorry for the long rant but It just seems that some of you are arguing for the sake of it.

edit  : didn't see another thread was opened while I was typing this.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:23:10 PM by Skypilot »

Offline acm

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »
Quote from: Skypilot;3381215
Imo a knife could be compared to a watch, you don't need one but It's nice to have day to day, and was an essential object a couple decades ago.
A lot of craftsmanship goes into both.
As for carrying one everyday, remember that 50 years ago almost every man had a pocket knife on him, they're not for defense or to intimidate people, they are tools. Man's oldest tool.
I use mine to sharpen pencils, cut food on the go,  open caulking cartridges at work etc... I can honestly say that I use mine everyday, they're just practical.
I might sound cliché when I say it's better to have one and not need it than needing one and not having it (Cutting a jammed seat belt comes to mind).
I can see why carrying a gun shocks some of you but a knife? Come on, most of the guys who posted in this thread also have guns, they must have other reasons than defense or intimidation to carry one since the gun can serve that purpose.
Sorry for the long rant but It just seems that some of you are arguing for the sake of it.

edit  : didn't see another thread was opened while I was typing this.

I just wanted to quote this because I really like how you put everything.

Offline Ben Dover

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »
Only time carrying a knife has ever been useful is when it's on a multitool and I brought it out specificly for something. Mostly it's been for the pliers though.

The majoirty of people that try to use a knife for self defense have it turned against them.
Quote from: G;3571894
You would do yourself less harm drinking an asbestos and dog shit smoothie

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2011, 12:48:24 PM »
Quote from: Andras;3381223
The majoirty of people that try to use a knife for self defense have it turned against them.

Where did you hear this? sounds like bullshit
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline Ben Dover

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »
Quote from: Admiral Ackbar;3381233
Where did you hear this? sounds like bullshit

In the paper at some point over the last few years.
Quote from: G;3571894
You would do yourself less harm drinking an asbestos and dog shit smoothie

Offline amishrob

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ewankrob
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »
join in the fun.
the leatherman is absurdly sharp.

Offline BDSM Master

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »
nope, just stirring the shit pot because it keeps things moving here. i have a gerber, it's functional and practical but not an everyday carry

Offline acm

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »
Quote from: Andras;3381223

I don't think anyone here has claimed they carry a knife for self defence yet.

Danno

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
Quote from: couch;3381214
I posted in here before there. If you are that interested, honestly, I will answer your question.

I have so far today used mine to open a bag of dog food, cut a bagel in half, cut up some boxes here at work, sectioned a plastic cushion here at work for inspection, cut the wire tie off of a product I am working on, cut another bagel in half, stirred my coffee and cut open another package.

Do you carry knife cleaner around with you as well? Cus surely that's just fucking horrible if not?

Offline D-J-S

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
yet the thread title itself uses the term weapon and therefore posting your edged object in this thread should mean you consider your object a weapon.

'A weapon is an instrument used with the aim of causing harm or death to human beings or other living creatures'

Offline wheelr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2011, 01:53:11 PM »
Quote from: Danno;3381273
Do you carry knife cleaner around with you as well? Cus surely that's just fucking horrible if not?

If I'm cutting some food I'll just give the blade a quick wipe with my shirt or something.

Offline acm

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »
Quote from: D-J-S;3381274
yet the thread title itself uses the term weapon and therefore posting your edged object in this thread should mean you consider your object a weapon.

'A weapon is an instrument used with the aim of causing harm or death to human beings or other living creatures'

Just because someone wanted to be clever in the title and avoid the word "knife" doesn't mean we're all out shanking people with ours.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello