Multimedia

Author Topic: 22 inches  (Read 389842 times)

Offline 22lyfe

• View Profile
Re: 22 inches
« Reply #510 on: September 10, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
Before bumping up to 22's I was riding a custom standard 250L with a 22" top tube and prior to that a DK R/T with a 22"tt as well.  While they were the best feeling 20's I'd ever ridden,  I'm really just too damn tall for a 20".  I've ridden various peoples 24's and 26's over the years that showed up to the trails, but in my opinion none of them felt right and I could never go as high on them as on my 20".  Granted I was riding other peoples bikes set up for them with a tt length certainly too short for me.  My feet hit on xups on all big wheeled bikes and thats a major disadvantage, which would be solved with a longer tt.  Also, the sunday I rode did have smaller bars than what I'm used to.  I bet if it had a set of 9"s on it, I wouldn't have felt so hunched over from the high bb.  The wave c was certainly one of the better 24's I've taken laps on, but in comparison to the feel of a traditional BMX  bike, I think 22's are the way to go.

Offline 22lyfe

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2013, 02:25:45 PM »
  Standard posted some pics of my 22" trailboss, can't wait to ride this beast!

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 10, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
Just saw that Trail Boss on Instagram, looks amazing.

Offline milhous

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 10, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
The Trail Boss looks great. Lovin' the Hemp color on that. I need to send mine in one of these days to get refinished in either Hemp Tan or Coffee Brown.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 10, 2013, 05:13:59 PM »
That trail boss is the boss of all trail bosses.
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #515 on: September 10, 2013, 05:53:14 PM »
I'm fucking retarded, about a week after selling my bmx I'm already getting the itch to buy one again despite hardly riding my old one haha. Definitely won't be a 20" this time though. For those who have tried both, what feels better 22" or a Model C? I've ridden 26" for years and I couldn't get back into riding such small wheels on my bmx.

To me the 22" still feels VERY much on the BMX side of things while the Model C (and most other 24" non race frames I have rode) feel like a 24" but give you that taste of ramping like what a 20" gives.  It sounds like if you don't want the feel of a 20" you should try your hand on the 24" before the 22".  These are just my two cents though.....  what the fuck do I know anyway?

I agree with that.  24"s are the most versatile.  You can go from concrete bowls to rough mtb jumps, plus ride 20 miles around town.  On the other hand, for me, 22"s are a 20" replacement. It's just sort of a proportional upsizing the same as we've been doing with longer top tubes over the years (and more recently, taller bars).  Everyone's riding bigger trails, bigger ramps, bigger street gaps/drops, it just makes sense.
If I could only have 2 bikes, I would do 22" bmx and 26" mtb-dj-4x.  But, if I could only have one bike, it would be a 24" bmx.  Similarly, if someone loved their 20", then as a second bike, I would suggest to them to go with a 24" (not 22" because it's not different enough), or maybe a 26" mtb-dj if they were riding rougher terrain.  I'll admit, at first I did not like the Model C when it came with 7.25" bars, the 21.25"tt, and the high bb. But when I started riding friends' Model C's and Wave C's with 21.75"tt and 22"tt and taller bars, I thought they felt great.  There's a lot of guys around here who are shredding them.  No longer are 24"s just the 'bar cruzer' bike.  It's disappointing to not see more of the bmx world embracing bigger wheels, and really repping them with pros and video parts. Seems like Sunday has given it the most valiant effort. It's worth it.

This makes a lot of sense. I did nearly 30 miles in 3 days on my waveC (two 13s and a 3) and it was a pleasure, would have a been a bit of a pain on my 20".

If I was tall I am sure that a 22 instead of a 20 would make a lot of sense too... but I am a short arse so no problems there.

Part of what I love about the waveC is the longer chainstays, makes bunnyhops feel so much more poppy to me (if that makes any sense), obviously not so good for spins etc but I couldn't care less about tailwhips etc might have to look at a longer back end for my 20"... 

If I had to choose 2 bikes as you say, I think I would be tempted to make a 22" replace my 20 and 24 too... but that is never going to happen.. but if I had to have a 22" as well as my 20" and 24" it would be interesting to see which I ended up riding most.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 10, 2013, 07:19:51 PM »
i feel like it would make perfect sense that a longer frame would feel easier to hop on, lets you get the front end up higher before lifting the rear.
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline MrHandely

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:26 PM »
I'm fucking retarded, about a week after selling my bmx I'm already getting the itch to buy one again despite hardly riding my old one haha. Definitely won't be a 20" this time though. For those who have tried both, what feels better 22" or a Model C? I've ridden 26" for years and I couldn't get back into riding such small wheels on my bmx.

To me the 22" still feels VERY much on the BMX side of things while the Model C (and most other 24" non race frames I have rode) feel like a 24" but give you that taste of ramping like what a 20" gives.  It sounds like if you don't want the feel of a 20" you should try your hand on the 24" before the 22".  These are just my two cents though.....  what the fuck do I know anyway?

I agree with that.  24"s are the most versatile.  You can go from concrete bowls to rough mtb jumps, plus ride 20 miles around town.  On the other hand, for me, 22"s are a 20" replacement. It's just sort of a proportional upsizing the same as we've been doing with longer top tubes over the years (and more recently, taller bars).  Everyone's riding bigger trails, bigger ramps, bigger street gaps/drops, it just makes sense.
If I could only have 2 bikes, I would do 22" bmx and 26" mtb-dj-4x.  But, if I could only have one bike, it would be a 24" bmx.  Similarly, if someone loved their 20", then as a second bike, I would suggest to them to go with a 24" (not 22" because it's not different enough), or maybe a 26" mtb-dj if they were riding rougher terrain.  I'll admit, at first I did not like the Model C when it came with 7.25" bars, the 21.25"tt, and the high bb. But when I started riding friends' Model C's and Wave C's with 21.75"tt and 22"tt and taller bars, I thought they felt great.  There's a lot of guys around here who are shredding them.  No longer are 24"s just the 'bar cruzer' bike.  It's disappointing to not see more of the bmx world embracing bigger wheels, and really repping them with pros and video parts. Seems like Sunday has given it the most valiant effort. It's worth it.

CMC sir... I couldn't agree more.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #518 on: September 11, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
i feel like it would make perfect sense that a longer frame would feel easier to hop on, lets you get the front end up higher before lifting the rear.

Yes. But it has sort of crept up on me how short the back end of my 20" is... years ago we had 15" long back ends and did everything we could to get them down, filing dropouts etc... but I think 14- 14,1/4" was my perfect length and now I cant do that...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 12, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »
The Trail Boss looks great. Lovin' the Hemp color on that. I need to send mine in one of these days to get refinished in either Hemp Tan or Coffee Brown.

Did they ever come in this tan color or is this a respray?

Also that 22" Trailboss is awesome

Offline BonerhasBent

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 12, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »
That bike is BOSS!

Seriously classy as hell!

Offline milhous

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 12, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »

Did they ever come in this tan color or is this a respray?

Also that 22" Trailboss is awesome

Tan, olive, and brown were some of the more common colors on the original Trail Boss frames (around Iowa anyways).
Pretty sure that one is a respray, I think it belongs to tsage on here.

Offline 22lyfe

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 13, 2013, 09:23:46 PM »
  Got my frame n 22" chrome arcs today, should be shredding this sucker next week!

Offline Albie

• Solid Bikes
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
Have they released welded badass 22" Arc rims yet?

Offline 22lyfe

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 15, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »
Have they released welded badass 22" Arc rims yet?

They sure have, had mine laced up yesterday

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #524 on: September 15, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special