Multimedia

Author Topic: 22 inches  (Read 391352 times)

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
Re: 22 inches
« Reply #465 on: May 21, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

I cannot say I am stoked about this music . . . but I am stoked on all the work Bret Parker and his crew have been doing on their trails in Lubbock Texas.  Brett riding an InDust 2ton 22":

http://vimeo.com/66570357

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 27, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »

Holmes, in flight.

ATF

Offline _tom_

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tom_the_beast
« Reply #467 on: July 10, 2013, 04:47:40 AM »
That ATF is lovely in green.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 10, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »

ATF 22" proto. I'm curious to try a 22 but I don't think they're available in the down underverse.
I spy a Fairdale Weekender in that pic!!! 
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 10, 2013, 11:54:12 PM »

I spy a Fairdale Weekender in that pic!!!

a Weekender is really high on my list of next bike.  gotta sell a couple first though. !

Offline Love Machine

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 11, 2013, 07:38:08 AM »
God I want a 22. I am just nervous about the tire/rim selection.

How are those Faction tires in durability and grip?
Does any mailorder have those faction tires?
Does revenge make a smooth tread tire?
Are the rims that S&M offer strong?

I really would love to move up to 22 since I am 6'8. I just don't like knobby tires and don't want to have to replace the rims frequently.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 11, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »
says in their store they do free shipping to the US and europe. the new f22 tyre looks like a good all around tread pattern

http://www.factionbikeco.com/controlblog/Faction-bikes-store/index.php/tyres/f22-tyre.html

this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 11, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
The Faction tires seem hard to get in the USA. You can get them but it's currently not as easy as a regular tire.

S&M will be putting out a 22 inch Mainline tire in the Fall. It won't be super smooth but will be more smooth than their current offering.

S&M/Revenge have two rims out currently. The ARC rim is welded while the other one is not. I am riding the non-welded rim and am not having issues but can visually see the seam where the rim is pinned. I also only weigh 150-ish.

I would think at 6'8" that you would want a custom length frame. S&M has their new ATF that comes in 22.125 but that still seems small for a giant...

*free shipping from Faction applies to their complete kits, I think.

Offline Love Machine

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 11, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »
The Faction tires seem hard to get in the USA. You can get them but it's currently not as easy as a regular tire.

S&M will be putting out a 22 inch Mainline tire in the Fall. It won't be super smooth but will be more smooth than their current offering.

S&M/Revenge have two rims out currently. The ARC rim is welded while the other one is not. I am riding the non-welded rim and am not having issues but can visually see the seam where the rim is pinned. I also only weigh 150-ish.

I would think at 6'8" that you would want a custom length frame. S&M has their new ATF that comes in 22.125 but that still seems small for a giant...

*free shipping from Faction applies to their complete kits, I think.

That is what I was afraid about the Faction tires.
It sucks waiting for a good tire. When it comes to grips and tires I am very picky,

I am kinda harsh on wheels I am 275lbs I just want something that can take a beating.

I have a custom 21.5 Howler with a slightly Higher BB (12"). I just think moving to a 22" wheel might be more comfortable. Tried a 24 felt to sluggish. I was thinking the 22 would be the happy medium.

When I have enough money and when their are better choices might get a custom Holmes.

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 11, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
If you're okay on the 21.5 then I think you'd be fine with any of the production frames available.

Top tube lengths from currently available frames;

Indust 21.75
AFT 21.65 & 22.125
Faction 21.5
Holmes 21.25 & 21.7 (this frame has a 69 seat tube angle so the TT lengths are weird)

You can always contact Faction about tires. I know others in the USA want them too.

Offline Love Machine

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 11, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »
I can ride a 21.25 with out being to uncomfortable but, prefer 21.5.

When the time comes I'll probably go with S&M since I can some what customize it.
Also waiting if the put the 22 ATF the custom frames.

Would the 69 Seat tube be that noticeable?

I sent Faction an email a little bit ago.

How much better is the 22 on the knees from hard landings?

Offline milhous

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 11, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
brobmx on Ebay has (or did have) the Faction tires for sale in the USA.

EDIT- Nevermind, looks like he might be sold out of them.........

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 11, 2013, 08:44:14 PM »
I can ride a 21.25 with out being to uncomfortable but, prefer 21.5.

When the time comes I'll probably go with S&M since I can some what customize it.
Also waiting if the put the 22 ATF the custom frames.

Would the 69 Seat tube be that noticeable?

I sent Faction an email a little bit ago.

I haven't really focused on the hard landings angle... but I guess from a physics standpoint, a tire of the same width is actually holding more air due to being bigger, and a larger rim with a slightly mellower curve is going to absorb an impact more than a smaller diameter one.  I know that 24" BMX's do feel smoother to drop off to flat landings (although I kinda hate flat landings these days--always looking for a grass embankment or true dirt landing). 

Over on bmxmuseum, tecnic1 posted up his InDust proto next to a Holmes 22.  The InDust proto he has was a single frame with a higher bb and shorter back end that was a proto for street/park bike. The InDust 2ton is the trail frame that I have that has a medium height bb (21.8"tt, 12.25"bb and 14.25"cs--where I have my axle now, not slammed but is close the front).  Talk to Vernon at InDust if you are interested in one of those, or a even possibly a different version. We have been talking about doing another higher-bb park/street frame.  I have never had the opportunity to compare the Holmes up close, but my impression is that the more laid-back seat tube angle actually makes the 22"tt Holmes a tad shorter than the 2ton when you compare "cockpit room" (or front-center, i.e. bb to front axle).

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=451009&p=72

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #478 on: July 12, 2013, 06:43:32 AM »

As CMC pointed out there will be a factor related to the tyre. For a given width and pressure a smaller wheel is actually less stiff than a bigger one, so a smaller wheel would be easier on the knees. But in reality you can usually run a bigger wheel at a slightly lower pressure and get the same kind of feel and rolling resistance so that probably puts it back to the big wheel (but it will be marginal).

Another more significant factor will be spoke length. If the spokes are all the same diameter, then the longer spokes of a bigger wheel will be less stiff in proportion to the length. So a 200mm spoke will be half as stiff as a 100mm spoke (ignoring minor factors due to bends etc). But the spoke is not the whole story, the bigger rim will sit nearer to flat so this will make it seem a little less stiff too. You will also have longer fork legs, which will be less stiff than short ones.

It will be hard to quantify with all these factors and all the possible different ways you could land, but since you already tried both 20" and 24" bikes I would just say it will feel about half way between those two  ::)

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline MrHandely

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 14, 2013, 09:24:58 AM »
22" wheels are better.  Period.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #479 on: July 14, 2013, 09:24:58 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special