Multimedia

Author Topic: 22 inches  (Read 391922 times)

Offline ssteinbr

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #345 on: December 29, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »
Quote from: Gooby;3618946
We're in the process of building a 22" Holmes for a customer with all american made parts. I will report back with photos once it's compleate. Obviously we can't get %100 American made though (grips, tires).

Awesome looking forward to the pictures.  What TT length is it?

Offline Dick

• Send Dudes
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #346 on: December 29, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
Quote from: Gooby;3618946
We're in the process of building a 22" Holmes for a customer with all american made parts. I will report back with photos once it's compleate. Obviously we can't get %100 American made though (grips, tires).

ODI grips are made here. Kenda tires too I think, but no one likes kenda.
Quote from: alex.;3333492
I don\'t think anyone is going to literally kill her. She\'ll probably just get thrown in jail and get raped a bunch.

Offline Bunky

• Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #347 on: December 30, 2012, 10:53:29 PM »
Ok, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a 22 inch bike...  My only thing is the Holmes specs say it has a 14.1 back end.  Is that in the middle of the dropouts?  I'm riding a 21.5 Mutiny animist right now and I have the back end at about 14.5 right now and that feels too short.  But the Animist has a BB height 1.7 above axle center line and the 22Holmes has a BB height 1.25 above axle center line, so I'm back and forth on whether or not the low bottom bracket will balance out the short back end for me.

Can someone with a 22holmes measure the back end for me and tell me how long it is with the axle all the way in the back of the dropouts (but still in), so that I can convince myself that I don't need to spend the money on a custom one with a longer rear end???
Quote from: G
this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #348 on: December 30, 2012, 11:15:28 PM »
Pretty sure back of the dropout sits the rear end length at just over 14.25 (14 3/8ths ?).

How tall are you bunky?

Offline Bunky

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #349 on: December 30, 2012, 11:38:42 PM »
I'm only 5-11 but after riding a Model C a bunch now short back ends feel like they loop out way too quick.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
22 inches
« Reply #350 on: December 31, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »
Quote from: ssteinbr;3618721
.... The revenge rim is identical to the quadrant rim.  ....

I very much doubt that. If it is then we have some patent conflicts to sort out.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #351 on: December 31, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »
Quote from: Blue Streak;3618909
Jay over at S&M said they were in the 22" game for the long haul, so I'm betting that those rims will be made in 22" also. :cheers:

That is awesome to hear.  Their 22" is pretty awesome.

Quote from: Bunky;3619563
Ok, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a 22 inch bike...  My only thing is the Holmes specs say it has a 14.1 back end.  Is that in the middle of the dropouts?  I'm riding a 21.5 Mutiny animist right now and I have the back end at about 14.5 right now and that feels too short.  But the Animist has a BB height 1.7 above axle center line and the 22Holmes has a BB height 1.25 above axle center line, so I'm back and forth on whether or not the low bottom bracket will balance out the short back end for me.

Can someone with a 22holmes measure the back end for me and tell me how long it is with the axle all the way in the back of the dropouts (but still in), so that I can convince myself that I don't need to spend the money on a custom one with a longer rear end???

Bunky-  I bet you would dig the Holmes.  If you like how your Model C rides this will probably be a fun bike for you as well.
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #352 on: December 31, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »
Quote from: Bunky;3619563

Quote from: Bunky;3619573
I'm only 5-11 but after riding a Model C a bunch now short back ends feel like they loop out way too quick.

Yes, the lower bb will balance out the shorter back end. But not just the bb . . . the larger diameter wheel will also factor in.  

I say this because I've ridden/tested/experimented with a lot of builds and wheel sizes over the last several years... and even when bb height (relative to axles) and cs is the same, a bike will still pull up differently just based on the wheel size.  

If you don't believe me, put some 20" wheels in your Model C and take it for a spin !   Better still (or maybe not!), get a pair of 22" wheels and 22" fork and run them in your Model C as a test.   I set up a We The People Avenger (ripoff of Model C) like this.  (Your rear brakes will not line up... unless you can somehow slot your dropout further forward and run brakes that can adjust the pads really far back):

Faction Zeitgeist 22" next to a We The People Avenger 24" with 22" wheels and 22" S&M fork.

Also, the InDust Cuatro 24" and the InDust 2ton 22" have similar cs length and bb rise, but you will feel a difference just based on the wheel size.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:53:32 PM by cmc4130 »

Offline Bunky

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #353 on: December 31, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »
Quote from: cmc4130;3619724
Yes, the lower bb will balance out the shorter back end. But not just the bb . . . the larger diameter wheel will also factor in.  

I say this because I've ridden/tested/experimented with a lot of builds and wheel sizes over the last several years... and even when bb height (relative to axles) and cs is the same, a bike will still pull up differently just based on the wheel size.  

If you don't believe me, put some 20" wheels in your Model C and take it for a spin !   Better still (or maybe not!), get a pair of 22" wheels and 22" fork and run them in your Model C as a test.   I set up a We The People Avenger (ripoff of Model C) like this.  (Your rear brakes will not line up... unless you can somehow slot your dropout further forward and run brakes that can adjust the pads really far back):

Faction Zeitgeist 22" next to a We The People Avenger 24" with 22" wheels and 22" S&M fork.

Also, the InDust Cuatro 24" and the InDust 2ton 22" have similar cs length and bb rise, but you will feel a difference just based on the wheel size.

I remember seeing pictures of your Avenger with 22 wheels on it somewhere and thinking it looked cool.  Thanks for the info!

Offline Bunky

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #354 on: December 31, 2012, 05:17:06 PM »
Quote from: skateparkrider;3619713

Bunky-  I bet you would dig the Holmes.  If you like how your Model C rides this will probably be a fun bike for you as well.

The custom 29er is in the works and I have pretty much all the parts for it except for the frame, which is still being built, I'm right on the verge of buying a SE Primetime complete and running it on the freewheel side, and I'm sooooo tempted to get a Holmes 22 kit.  The only thing is I work for another 2 weeks straight and then only have 2 days off before I have to move to Raleigh and will be living in a guest room for a while until I find a place and wont have anywhere to stash the bikes.  It looks like it will probably just be the Wave-C and me for a while.  

I know it will probably be fun, I just wont have anywhere to build/stash the bike for a while.

Somebody get me an exact measurement on the back end of one of these things and help convince me that I should just do it!!!!!

Offline ssteinbr

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #355 on: December 31, 2012, 05:23:54 PM »
I agree with everything CMC has to say ^^

I am running my CS at 14.5" and it looks like it could be as long as 14-7/8" maybe even 15".

Just got home from a ride and after much trial and error I have my holmes setup dialed.  Slammed push stem with Hoder bars with the CS at 14.5"

Offline ssteinbr

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #356 on: December 31, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »
Oh and yes you should get one.  I switched back to a 21.25" tt steadfast for the last three rides and while I can still jump, hop and do everything... the sketchyness factor is definitely higher.  On the 22 holmes I never feel out of control like I am going to dead sailor.  The bike fits me like my 1983 supergoose did when I was 14.  Body to bike size ratio feels exactly the same.

I was watching Mullvile blast the jump room at rays last weekend and check out his setup.  He is fairly short... probably 5'7" and he runs really tall bars... he has a very upright stance.  The Holmes lets me run really high bars and be more upright because it has a low bb and with the CS at 14.5" I never loop out.  I can lean back and pull up hard off of jumps and since I am so upright I can tuck the bike up and get a lot higher than I can on a 20" or my Model C.

Get one dude!!!

Offline ssteinbr

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #357 on: December 31, 2012, 08:01:31 PM »
Check out page 20 for a 22" review all the way back in 1983.  I had this magazine, I must have read it a hundred times back then.

http://oldschoolmags.com/mags/BMXPlus_8301.pdf

Offline Dick

• Send Dudes
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #358 on: December 31, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
I bet the people who thought it was foolish back then are now the people supporting it.
Quote from: alex.;3333492
I don\'t think anyone is going to literally kill her. She\'ll probably just get thrown in jail and get raped a bunch.

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #359 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
I was talking to this guy who my dad knows. The dude said he was sponsored in the 80's and had a signature bike with 22" rims

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

22 inches
« Reply #359 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special