Multimedia

Author Topic: 22 inches  (Read 384447 times)

Offline Louis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »
Wish I knew someone with one so I could try one. I'm 6'4 & I want to buy a 21"+ frame but it WILL NOT have a & 13.7" or less rear end. I can manual my 14" all day & I don't even weigh a lot.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
22 inches
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2011, 06:04:20 PM »
I think you are missing what I am trying to say. Let me rephrase it.

Tyres are a real pain. PERIOD.

Doing any tyre is hard. 20" 24" 26" etc. It isnt something that you can set up to do in small volume in your garage like most other bike parts.

If someone asked us to do 22" rims or forks or frames or spokes it really wouldnt be a huge problem. We might lose money on it but we could do it.

When it comes to tyres there are practicalities of dealing with the factories that make them. They have huge production lines set up and they have machines set to each size of tyre that they like to leave set to those sizes so that they are consistant.

There are two basic tyre assembly machines/jigs and the basic ones make basic tyres and the fancy ones make fancy tyres.
It was hard getting the fancy machine for 20" and cheaper tyres are still made on the basic machine.

My opinion... is that getting the tyre manufacturers to set up fancy machines for 22" is going to be very hard. They will reason that people will either buy 20" or 22" and that there will be no net change to their sales volume, and these people dont listen to Fugazi.

I keep harping back to it, but the 29" situation is a good guide. 29" tyres can be assembled (this is prior to moulding the shape) on the same machine as a 700c road tyre. So they already have everything set up for the beads and assembly. All you need is a new mold and boom, done. MTB is also a massive market and there is way more competition between tyre making factories. Yet it still took a long time to get going...

I mention doing all the other sizes because I am a big believer in experimentation. I wasnt putting it up as an extreme example, I would genuinely like to do it. But if the 20" tyres are beautifully made then they will seem better than the 21" prototypes and that would skew the results. Much in engineering is how it is for stupid reasons and it irks me. Road bikes use 700c wheels because the UCI makes it mandatory. Can you imagine how much bikes would have advanced in the last 100 years if riders had been free to ride anything? Would we now be seeing fully suspended 20" wheeled recumbents competing against Graham Obree inspired uprights and fully faired Lotus bikes by Mike Burrows in the Tour de France? Might make for a much more interesting tour when one bike excels on the flat and another is better uphill and yet another downhill.

As I say, I love my 24" and I would love to do more 24" tyres, and I would love to try 22", but I am afraid that the deck is stacked against 22" in a way that it isn't against 24" and until I actually ride one (and more than a couple of older legends try it), I also worry that 22" is equally as likely to be the worst of both worlds as it is to be the Goldilocks zone...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Sebastian

• Tullingsworth
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2011, 06:20:15 PM »
Quote from: G;3505827
...even if we did the factories dont have the better machines for this size, its a catch 22...

Hehe...

Offline super_chief

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »
no thanks to 22"

more power to whoever for tryin to explore it, but i feel 24" area should be supported ahead of such

Offline toastyovens

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
Guise, Odyssey wont be doing 22" tires. We should all quit dreaming of riding a 22".

Please close this thread, Kthanxbye...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:47:28 PM by toastyovens »

Offline ssteinbr

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2011, 12:50:11 AM »
i want to get an amero

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2011, 02:12:10 AM »
new rumor. Odyssey/G sport are fully against 22 inch bikes and are single handedly preventing them from entering the market. hee hee :D

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
So, turns out that there ARE tires made by someone other than Faction for 22 inch bikes. They might not be the best but they do work. Some are rated at 100PSI so they can't be too poorly made.

Having ridden a 22 inch bike, I can say that these things are going to be GREAT for hauling ass but still nimble enough to throw around.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2012, 05:59:16 PM »
Rode CMC's rig at the skatepark on Saturday night.  It was a pretty wild ride.  Feebles!!!!!
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2012, 02:12:57 AM »
Quote from: @ss4oLe;3506132
I'm holding out for S&M.

FUCK YEA!!!!!!!
BOOOM!!!

S&M prototype. They had the made rims custom. They have  Fit and Revenge tires coming soon. Shit just got real!

I threw slam bars and a redneck stem on it. Thing is SICK!

I don't know what kind of garbage G was spewing about getting tires made... once again, chris moeller steps up and gets shit done. and done RIGHT.

Can't wait to see what the final product looks/rides like.
:cheers:

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:22 AM »
How very professional of you to call the info George gave you 'garbage'

Offline Austin Tasseltine

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://battersmalley.blogspot.com/
22 inches
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:26 AM »
i think what george was saying was that sunday/odyssey didnt think it would be worthwhile making 22" tyres as the market is so niche. if S&M are now making more frames for that wheelsize, then they are more actively creating that market. faction helped get the ball rolling but the bmx world has hardly jumped on 22" bikes like crazy, it still seems a very niche section of bmx

Offline Dr. Lucien Sanchez

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2012, 04:21:48 AM »
Fair play to them if they do make 22" tyres but for most bmx companies money put into a mold for a 22" tyre for a niche market is money that could be put into a mold for a 20" market with obviously a massive consumer base

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
22 inches
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »
I'm far from a pro. Just some guy who is testing a bicycle.....

I do have HUGE respect for G/Odyssey however, the way G was talking he was all but shutting this thing down. Sure it's a niche market but if one company is making the tires, they'd be getting all the sales. Looks like those sales will be going to Fit/Revenge....

Offline Austin Tasseltine

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://battersmalley.blogspot.com/
22 inches
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »
i dont think he was shutting it down, just talking about his experience with regards to 22" tyres. if s&m are making some decent tyres in that size then its awesome for guys like you who are looking for decent parts in that wheel size

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

22 inches
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello