Multimedia

Author Topic: 22 inches  (Read 384455 times)

Offline Bunky

• Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 22 inches
« Reply #630 on: February 27, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »
Model C's and other new school geometry cruisers are the shit!

I've got a Model C, Model C3, Liquid 24, Fit CR24, and a custom Stout 24.  I'm addicted to cruisers now and am working on getting a prototype frame built in China right now for potentially doing a small production run. 

Maybe we should start a separate cruiser thread? 
Quote from: G
this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 27, 2018, 08:28:55 PM »
I'd like to try a franke and fork built around 18" but with adult geometry. I rode an 18" a bit on a backyard mini and I could do much cleaner 540s than on my 20 but it was too small for front end stuff like barspins or tabes and it looped out way too easily

Actually, 19" would be nice to try but it's too small an increment to expect anything to be made for it, i.e. rims and tires

Offline Bunky

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 28, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
You could always try sticking 18 inch wheels on a 20 inch frame as long as you don't ride brakes.

This kinda makes me want to put 20 inch wheels on one of my cruisers just to see what it feels like...  Or even 12 inch wheels just to go to the extreme end with it.

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 01, 2018, 03:57:27 AM »
You could always try sticking 18 inch wheels on a 20 inch frame as long as you don't ride brakes.

This kinda makes me want to put 20 inch wheels on one of my cruisers just to see what it feels like...  Or even 12 inch wheels just to go to the extreme end with it.

Pedal strikes would be a nightmare.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 01, 2018, 05:35:53 AM »

I built this thing a while ago. Should be good on the jumps in Summer. Basically feels like a 20" but a bit less responsive and a lot more comfortable. The new ATF frames clear 2.4 tires with the Springfield brake for ultimate monster trucking.

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 01, 2018, 07:48:36 AM »

That's one issue, you're pedals are an inch closer to the ground. Shorter cranks would help somewhat, going from 175 to 165 or 160 is a difference or 10 or 15mm, two fifths and three fifths on that inch at the cost of some leverage. Speaking of that part of the bike being closer to the ground, the effectual 10.5 to 10.75 BB height might feel shit too

I like having the option of brakes but to try out an adult BMX built around smaller wheels it's not a deal breaker. I knew a guy decades ago who had 16" on a 20" and rode it on dirt too but it felt so wrong to me the one time I rode it

Fun food for thought but at the end of the day I can't really expect to be able to hug every cat

Offline Bunky

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 01, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »

I built this thing a while ago. Should be good on the jumps in Summer. Basically feels like a 20" but a bit less responsive and a lot more comfortable. The new ATF frames clear 2.4 tires with the Springfield brake for ultimate monster trucking.

Fuhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Tom that's gorgeous.  Cool to see you on a 22. 

How do you feel about the Springfields?  I've seen a lot of people complaining about them online, but I've got a couple sets of them on different bikes and I really like them.  The pads are just OK so I've switched them out on my favorite bikes, but overall I feel like they're stiff as hell. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:46:00 AM by Bunky »

Offline Bunky

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 01, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »

That's one issue, you're pedals are an inch closer to the ground. Shorter cranks would help somewhat, going from 175 to 165 or 160 is a difference or 10 or 15mm, two fifths and three fifths on that inch at the cost of some leverage. Speaking of that part of the bike being closer to the ground, the effectual 10.5 to 10.75 BB height might feel shit too

I like having the option of brakes but to try out an adult BMX built around smaller wheels it's not a deal breaker. I knew a guy decades ago who had 16" on a 20" and rode it on dirt too but it felt so wrong to me the one time I rode it

Fun food for thought but at the end of the day I can't really expect to be able to hug every cat

Putting 20 inch wheesl on a 24 wouldn't cause problems with pedal strike, but going down to 12 inch wheels definitely would.

The feel of the bottom bracket wouldn't really change since the pivot points don't change, but the feeling of how close you are to the ground would.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 05, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »

Fuhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Tom that's gorgeous.  Cool to see you on a 22. 

How do you feel about the Springfields?  I've seen a lot of people complaining about them online, but I've got a couple sets of them on different bikes and I really like them.  The pads are just OK so I've switched them out on my favorite bikes, but overall I feel like they're stiff as hell. 

The Springfields work really well. I actually got rid of my 1,000 year old Fly brake on the Barcode for one. I can see how they wouldn't work for everyone but for how much I ride BMX these days they're sound.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #638 on: March 05, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello