Multimedia

Author Topic: Post Your Guns  (Read 1745050 times)

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3195 on: March 05, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
Quote from: couch;3535667

Do you have your Type 7 or Type 10 FFL yet?

If not I would make sure these pictures don't have any Zodiac logos on them or the ATF may be paying you a visit for manufacturing firearms as a business. Just saying. :cheers:

Offline couch

• ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3196 on: March 05, 2012, 11:50:57 PM »
I can legally make my own lowers as long as there is no intent to sell. And if I do want to sell I need to engrave a little info and go thru an FFL as a PPT.

This was an 80% TM Lower. Milled the FCG and drilled the selecter and trigger holes.

Offline Trail-Boss

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3197 on: March 05, 2012, 11:57:50 PM »
From the practical machinist forum posted by "freakshow10mm"
Not sure how much is fact, but it seems spot of from some of the reading I've done.

For California it's a royal pain. For CA specific stuff, head to Calguns.net and run a few searches on there. There are a few threads on becoming an 07 FFL in CA. My business associate in Fresno is an 07 FFL.

Federally speaking you get the 07 FFL which is $150 for three years. Get the application mailed out via the ATF distribution center (on the atf.gov site). Fill it out, submit fingerprint cards and mug shots in duplicate to the ATF and send one to your chief LE officer. Can be police chief or sheriff.

Prior or at the same time you need to get the state stuff. Get a premises to list as your FFL premises. Get any zoning issues taken care of. Get any resale licensing and other business type things done. I think some need permission from the county or something. Your local municipal office will be able to tell you what you will need to do.

The FFL takes about 3 months or so. Mine actually took about 6 weeks. The ATF will make sure you have all your paperwork you need for the state or at least have it processing. When it's all done they will issue your FFL. I've heard some say it took up to six months to get everything done.

Now since you are a firearm manufacturer, you will need to register with the US State Department under the ITAR rules, International Trade in Arms Regulations as a manufacturer. Even if you don't export you need to register. The law is crystal clear on this. Current fee is $2,250 yearly. Ten year felony and $1 million fine for noncompliance. Not one or the other, BOTH.

After that BS is done, you can pay the $1,000 yearly tax to be an SOT. One page form and mail your check with it. Mine took 3 weeks, check cashed on 9/11 of all days. But because you are in CA, you need a LE letter giving you permission to be an SOT and you need letters for each DOJ Assault Weapon permit thing. Suppressors, machine guns, etc all need a letter and separate yearly permit which I think costs $500 each. You will also need to get the normal Assault Weapon dealer permit from the DOJ. Check with the Calguns.net forum for that stuff.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3198 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07:47 AM »
Quote from: couch;3535809
I can legally make my own lowers as long as there is no intent to sell. And if I do want to sell I need to engrave a little info and go thru an FFL as a PPT.

This was an 80% TM Lower. Milled the FCG and drilled the selecter and trigger holes.

For sure, I'm just saying to be careful to keep the business side separate. That seems like a grey area to me.

Offline yacqueli

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3199 on: March 06, 2012, 01:33:38 AM »
Itt.......
G-TROOP
PURE EVIL!

Offline TheHouseProduct

• View Profile
    • http://www.thehousebmx.com
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3200 on: March 06, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
Quote from: couch;3535809

You don't technically need to engrave it.  ATF just wants to be sure that it doesn't appear to be for a business.  If you make one and sell it, no big deal, one a week, well that's tough to explain.
Quote from: Trail-BOSS;3535810
From the practical machinist forum posted by "freakshow10mm"
Not sure how much is fact, but it seems spot of from some of the reading I've done.

Freakshow10mm knows his stuff.  that is all spot on.  ITAR is the reason I didn't go with 07.

Offline couch

• ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3201 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »
From all the research I've done and @ tea eff letters I've read, the lower must have specific engraving in order to sell.

The gray area is what defines as a manufacturer. That's what nobody can figure out. How many lowers being sold considers you a manufacturer, how often and so on.

Offline Moshrides1

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3202 on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:40 PM »
Just picked my kimber 1911 up a few weeks ago. Kimber eclipse customll. 45acp. Got a nice deal on it slightly used.
[/IMG]
Small~Town~Mischief

Refs:Stolenrider,pcxl,Kinkrida12,trf_kink_rida,
Mphelps,andrew shope.

Offline farva

• View Profile
    • http://www.flatestatebmx.4t.com
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3203 on: March 08, 2012, 12:14:11 AM »

Offline TheHouseProduct

• View Profile
    • http://www.thehousebmx.com
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3204 on: March 08, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
Quote from: couch;3536078
From all the research I've done and @ tea eff letters I've read, the lower must have specific engraving in order to sell.

The gray area is what defines as a manufacturer. That's what nobody can figure out. How many lowers being sold considers you a manufacturer, how often and so on.

I found the law.  27 CFR 478.92 They should be marked.  I don't sell any guns I make or buy so no deal to me.

How many makes you a manufacturer is sort like officers discretion.  Some say one a year, but your basically at the mercy of what ATF thinks that a DA could convince a jury.

Offline ralph wiggum

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3205 on: March 09, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »
Nothing special, but I just picked this up from a coworker today. Wanted something I could take to the range occasionally and the price was right.

Offline farva

• View Profile
    • http://www.flatestatebmx.4t.com
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3206 on: March 09, 2012, 02:09:21 PM »
Quote from: chillywilly263;3536994
Nothing special, but I just picked this up from a coworker today. Wanted something I could take to the range occasionally and the price was right.

that gun is fun as hell

Offline Birdmane

• nekbeerd
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3207 on: March 10, 2012, 01:15:31 AM »
Mark I! Ive got the same one.

Love it.
L0F

Offline yacqueli

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3208 on: March 10, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »

stupid stupid pointless gun..

so i bought one in 9mm
G-TROOP
PURE EVIL!

Offline Cat Daddy

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #3209 on: March 12, 2012, 01:56:41 AM »
Shot skeet for the first time today. Yeah it was alot of fun. And bird shot is like $6 for 25 vs $6 for 5 slugs
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:05:01 AM by Cat Daddy »

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

Post Your Guns
« Reply #3209 on: March 12, 2012, 01:56:41 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello