Multimedia

Author Topic: Post Your Guns  (Read 686666 times)

0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wheelr

  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 8970
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2295 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
Hey dudes.  Seeking advice.

In preparation for a possible optics setup I want to go ahead and get rid of my carry handle (BOUNCEHOUSE420, still interested?) and get a folding rear sight.  I have a standard front fixed sight. See here.

After a bit of reading I am leaning toward this Troy piece.
http://troyind.com/%20/battlesights/troy-battlesight-rear-folding

Any opinions or other recommendations?

Offline couch

  • ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 7655
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2296 on: April 28, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »
Quote from: Garrett.;3426328
Im just not a fan of glocks, they're nice for sure but just not for me. The PPS is also slimmer in thickness then the G27.

While it may be slightly slimmer, you're sacraficing a few rounds when using the flush magazine. PPS is 6+1 right? G27 is 9+1.

Not trying to say you made a bad choice at all, just throwing that out there. I feel there is a great deal of misguided dislike towards Glock, and I don't understand it. I've been to the range with guys that straight up refuse to shoot my Glock even though they have never shot/handled one.

Regardless, nice purchase.

Offline master

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4201
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2297 on: April 28, 2011, 04:33:07 PM »
Quote from: couch;3426354
While it may be slightly slimmer, you're sacraficing a few rounds when using the flush magazine. PPS is 6+1 right? G27 is 9+1.

Not trying to say you made a bad choice at all, just throwing that out there. I feel there is a great deal of misguided dislike towards Glock, and I don't understand it. I've been to the range with guys that straight up refuse to shoot my Glock even though they have never shot/handled one.

Regardless, nice purchase.


For me personally, I can't get past the grip angle on glocks, and I am still slightly wary of the "safe action" trigger for Iwb carry.  Also, the thickness on their carry models are still kind of high.

I like the melt job on your 27. Did you do that yourself?

I ended up with a PF9 due to how thin and light it is, and the true DAO trigger. 7+1 is nice too.

Offline couch

  • ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 7655
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2298 on: April 28, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »
Quote from: zane;3426355
For me personally, I can't get past the grip angle on glocks, and I am still slightly wary of the "safe action" trigger for Iwb carry.  Also, the thickness on their carry models are still kind of high.

I like the melt job on your 27. Did you do that yourself?

I ended up with a PF9 due to how thin and light it is, and the true DAO trigger. 7+1 is nice too.


I'm in CA so carrying IWB isn't even a possibility. Definitely something to consider though for when I move out of the state.

I did all the work on it myself. Mainly flushed the barrel with the slide and really crowned at eleven degrees then polished. I also flushed the recoil assembly with the slide. Not really an ideal setups as it isn't contained when I take it apart but it isn't a problem. I keep the stock one in my bag just in case. I also have a Brooks Tactical A Grip around the grip. The stock backstrap is way too aggressive, especially with the snappy. 40

Offline Garrett.

  • O.G. Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1636
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2299 on: April 28, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
What are the CC laws in CA? I know you can only carry 10 rounds in any given mag which is ridiculous.
It\'s called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it.
-GC

Offline Rick James

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2845
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2300 on: April 28, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
Quote from: wheelr;3426336
Hey dudes.  Seeking advice.

In preparation for a possible optics setup I want to go ahead and get rid of my carry handle (BOUNCEHOUSE420, still interested?) and get a folding rear sight.  I have a standard front fixed sight. See here.

After a bit of reading I am leaning toward this Troy piece.
http://troyind.com/%20/battlesights/troy-battlesight-rear-folding

Any opinions or other recommendations?


Troy is tops when it comes to folding sights.  

These are the ones I am going to go with when I get my AR:  http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=104

Offline Birdmane

  • nekbeerd
  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 9034
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2301 on: April 28, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »
Troy Black rear folding battle sight.

AK: Milled vs Stamped

I have both and I like both.  Milled looks amazing, but to me isn't very AK-ish.  Original AK: "AK-47 1948–51, 7.62x39mm – The very earliest models, with the Type 1 stamped sheet metal receiver, are now very rare."  So to me stamped is where its at, thats how they were meant to be/designed for.  

Milled AKs are very heavy.  They don't shoot any better or run any better.  The BCG is smoother, but that doesn't effect the functionality.

If it were my build, I would not waste the money on a milled receiver, unless you wanted a Russian type 2 clone.  I would get a flat receiver with the holes in it and bend it yourself, or just get a bent one and buy a parts kit.  

But if you want the best deal, buy a Saiga in your caliber of choice.  I like 5.45x39!  Then convert it!  Saigas are made in the same factory that the original Aks were made in, you just have to take out some pins, move the trigger group forward, and put in a new bullet guide.

Let me know if you have questions


Got a new box.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:52:36 PM by Birdmane »
L0F

Offline Gilla409

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1478
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2302 on: April 28, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
Quote from: couch;3426308
Now that my 1911 is finished I want to build something else. \.


Whaaaat?

I gotta see this... what did you use as a base, and what was the end result?

I've been thinking about picking up a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 as a base for a custom build, though nothing too crazy (extended thumb safety/slide catch, beavertail grip safety, Novak sights, etc.) It's just that they're hard to find... and at their price/rarity, I could get a PX series for a little more, with all the bells and whistles. It's small things that make me want to do a custom (I'm not into forward cocking serrations.) If I do go custom, I'm probably going stainless... it's less hassle than having to re-parkerize if any milling takes place.

I've also been wanting to do an AR build, but that shit gets real pricey really quick. What lower did you find? I'm hoping to save enough for a LaRue Tactical billet lower, though that's a long way off.

Offline couch

  • ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 7655
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2303 on: April 29, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »
I milled the frame from a stainless casting with a few existing holes. I had to do quote a bit to the frame.

This is how it currently sits. Custom Caspian slide, Schuemann barrel, Ed Brown internals (may swap a few out for EGW) and Pachmyer American Legend grips. I did all the work myself.
 
 
 

The lower I found is a Quentin Laser, which is basically the same as a POF lower. The guy hasn't gotten back to me in a couple days.

Offline Albie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 807
  • Solid Bikes
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2304 on: April 29, 2011, 01:10:09 AM »
Fuck me that's a nice looking gun.

Offline Gilla409

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1478
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2305 on: April 29, 2011, 01:24:08 AM »
Quote from: couch;3426482
I milled the frame from a stainless casting with a few existing holes. I had to do quote a bit to the frame.

This is how it currently sits. Custom Caspian slide, Schuemann barrel, Ed Brown internals (may swap a few out for EGW) and Pachmyer American Legend grips. I did all the work myself.
 
 
 

The lower I found is a Quentin Laser, which is basically the same as a POF lower. The guy hasn't gotten back to me in a couple days.

Damn, that is pretty much EXACTLY what I'm wanting to do, with only a couple differences (no laser grip, wider cocking serrations, extended slide catch.) The reason I'm thinking about going for a Springfield Armory base gun, is because it's a solid basic 1911... pretty much waiting for mods and customization. However, if something similar can be done for cheaper, I'm all about it!

If you could, PM me what it cost to build that baby up! Also, how does it perform? Have you taken a grouping yet? Also, what kind of red tape is there when building a frame from scratch?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:26:13 AM by Gilla409 »

Offline couch

  • ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 7655
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2306 on: April 29, 2011, 01:48:18 AM »
I don't have a grip with a laser...

Being in CA I can't even buy just a frame here so building from the ground up required me milling my own. Since you are in TX you can pretty much do what you want. Check out cncguns.com for Justin's 1911 build in the projects section and all over the forum for %builds. Garagegunsmithing.com has quite a few, so does homegunsmith.com

As for 1911 specific forums 1911forum.com and 1911pro.com are great. 1911pro is a fairly new forum but consists of many of the top 1911 smiths so its a very good resource. I have my entire build on cncguns, garage and 1911pro if you want more information.

I haven't shot it yet. I still need to add sights. I simply haven't been to the range in a while.

Offline couch

  • ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 7655
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2307 on: April 29, 2011, 02:02:19 AM »
I've been considering a few other little mods for my G27. Rounding the trigger guard and slightly slimming the grip area. Possibly polishing the slide. I haven't seen one done with all this until this evening when I stumbled upon this photo on glocktalk. Fairly smiliar less the stipling.


Offline wheelr

  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 8970
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2308 on: April 29, 2011, 09:11:02 AM »
This is definitely the best thread on BG.

Thanks Rick James and Dan for your opinions.  Think I'm going with the Troy BUIS.

BOUNCEHOUSE420

  • Guest
Post Your Guns
« Reply #2309 on: April 29, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
Quote from: wheelr;3426336
Hey dudes.  Seeking advice.

In preparation for a possible optics setup I want to go ahead and get rid of my carry handle (BOUNCEHOUSE420, still interested?)


name your price

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

Post Your Guns
« Reply #2309 on: April 29, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »

 

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special