Multimedia

Author Topic: Post Your Guns  (Read 1764331 times)

Offline sum random dude

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #810 on: September 06, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
I skipped the last 40 pages... so I probably missed all the details and arguing and whatnot....

Quote from: couch;2808314
Anyone keep a gun at home? Not for hunting or anything like that. More for protection from break ins and whatnot. There has been a lot of shady shit in my neighborhood lately. Just trying to see what your thoughts are on this.

Yes I know the risk of keeping a gun in the house. I do not have kids and it won't be left out in the open or left unlocked. Yes I have shot guns before, I have made parts for guns and I know how they work.

I'm sure there are better alternatives to keep in the house but lets face it, who doesn't want a gun? Come on.

Would a small gun be better than a big gun?

Recommendations, opinions, your own stories, etc etc etc... lets hear it.

Shotgun.

If you're serious about home defence a pistol is a waste of time.  Get a shotgun and be done with it.  Due to the spread of the bullets and more instinctive aim it's a better close quarters weapon than a pistol.  Also, the sound of a cocking shotgun carries and should be enough to set anyone who hears it off at a full sprint.

Handguns by comparison are harder to aim, particularly under stress.  Stress increases your heart rate, and as your heart rate increases your fine motor skills deteriorate.  Aiming a pistol is more of a fine motor skill than aiming a shotgun.

Quote from: big_papa_nuts;2808376
considering most gun fights last less then 3 rounds i doubt you will ever need more the the 6 the 38 holds. and if you can't take someone down with six shots you need to learn to aim. i just like the simplicity of a revolver too.

That's a frequent misconception.  Honestly, the average person can't hit the broad side of a barn when using a pistol in a fire fight.  It has to do with the human bodies natural reaction to stress (ie, fight or flight) and your ability to control a weapon and employ it effectively while under stress.  Well trained cops have unloaded their whole magazine and not hit their target who's 10 feet away, while that target 10 feet away has also unloaded his entire magazine and not hit the cop.

The truth is that the pistol is generally a poor combat weapon, thus the reason it's normally used as a backup weapon.

Offline Birdmane

• nekbeerd
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #811 on: September 07, 2009, 01:02:03 AM »
Pistols are meant to be used to get you safely to your rifle.
L0F

Offline sum random dude

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #812 on: September 07, 2009, 01:22:49 AM »
Quote from: Neckbeard;3081440
Pistols are meant to be used to get you safely to your rifle.

I wouldn't use a rifle in close quarters if I had access to a shotgun.  However, I wouldn't use a pistol in close quarters if I had access to a rifle... provided the rifle is semi-auto and isn't some crazy long thing.

Then again, I wouldn't willingly step into a gunfight without backup... hence the cocking up the shotgun.

Offline Birdmane

• nekbeerd
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #813 on: September 07, 2009, 01:27:44 AM »
Thats just an expression meaning the pistol isn't meant for much of anything unless your bigger gun is messed up.

If you're talking HD as in "my bedroom/house defense" shotgun would be the best, I like 20gauge pump for that.

No if you're talking HD as in your HOMESTEAD/farm/ranch then rifle.
L0F

Offline sum random dude

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #814 on: September 07, 2009, 01:43:30 AM »
Quote from: Neckbeard;3081465
Thats just an expression meaning the pistol isn't meant for much of anything unless your bigger gun is messed up.

If you're talking HD as in "my bedroom/house defense" shotgun would be the best, I like 20gauge pump for that.

No if you're talking HD as in your HOMESTEAD/farm/ranch then rifle.

I would like to think that the days of defending the Homestead from the roof of your house are long gone, although my neighbour used to climb up on the roof of his with a 30-06 and shoot gophers.

Offline Kaylin

• Get Krafty
    • View Profile
    • Krafty BMX
Post Your Guns
« Reply #815 on: September 07, 2009, 02:14:13 AM »
I'm looking into getting a pistol for home protection, not wanting a rifle or anything just a pistol. Whats a good one and farely inexpensive? I was looking at Walther P99's and like the look but don't like the $800 price tag. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
@StayKrafty
@KraftyBMX

Offline (jeff)

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #816 on: September 07, 2009, 06:37:01 AM »
Quote from: mybikeisblack;3081489
I'm looking into getting a pistol for home protection, not wanting a rifle or anything just a pistol. Whats a good one and farely inexpensive? I was looking at Walther P99's and like the look but don't like the $800 price tag. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If it's strictly for home defense, the chances of you actually using it are slim so why spend alot? I say look for a used Ruger P95. I've seen them near $300.

Offline Birdmane

• nekbeerd
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #817 on: September 07, 2009, 09:55:39 AM »
Used Rugers or smith and wessons in 9mm are pretty cheap and extremely nice.

Revolvers are the best kind of pistol for HD in my opinion.  No safeties and everyone can use one.  Right now you can find .357/.38spcl used revolvers under $300 no problem, and they are bad ass and original.
L0F

Offline Kaylin

• Get Krafty
    • View Profile
    • Krafty BMX
Post Your Guns
« Reply #818 on: September 07, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Alright thanks a lot. I'll look into one of them.
@StayKrafty
@KraftyBMX

Offline Erik

• Best M-m-m-moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #819 on: September 07, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »
you guys are weird.

Offline Zach_T

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #820 on: September 07, 2009, 05:59:19 PM »
I honestly didn't know so many people who didn't grow up with firearms in their homes.

Offline (jeff)

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #821 on: September 07, 2009, 11:57:03 PM »
Quote from: Neckbeard;3081626
Used Rugers or smith and wessons in 9mm are pretty cheap and extremely nice.

Revolvers are the best kind of pistol for HD in my opinion.  No safeties and everyone can use one.  Right now you can find .357/.38spcl used revolvers under $300 no problem, and they are bad ass and original.

I wish I could find a used S&W .38 for under 300.

Offline Birdmane

• nekbeerd
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #822 on: September 08, 2009, 01:26:03 AM »
Someone by me is selling a S&W 442-2 Airweight snubbie for around $325.  Awesome little gun.  I have a Model 10-5, I would get one if I were you, awesome wheel guns.  You can find police trade ins online for around $250.  My roommates dad had a Ruger Security Six in .357/38 and its amazing too.  So many great ones!
L0F

Offline jinx667

• View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #823 on: September 08, 2009, 01:53:04 AM »
Went to the range a couple of weeks ago.

The victim:

The instrument:

I will be ready when they come back.
OMEGA Bike Shop, Oceanside CA
http://www.omegabikeshop.com

Offline couch

• ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Post Your Guns
« Reply #824 on: September 08, 2009, 02:11:25 AM »
Are you down to trade more Zodiac parts for that fine looking 1911?

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

Post Your Guns
« Reply #824 on: September 08, 2009, 02:11:25 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello