Multimedia

Author Topic: Closing registration and Bg's future.  (Read 45941 times)

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Closing registration and Bg's future.
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:32:22 PM »
Due to the thread about all of the new people here there seems to be a lot of talk about closing Bg’s registration. Let me set the record straight (for the 50,000 time).

Bg has and always will be open registration. It was the premise it was founded on and it is partly what I believe makes it what it is. Does it go through good and bad cycles, of course, but every site has that happen. Closing registration causes its own set of problems, none of which I want.  One of which is how do you know who the next George (Gsport) is and know to let him in: or how about the next Ted (Seshin). Locking the place down keeps out some bad, but you will not know how much good you are blocking out either.

Does this mean Bg will get so big that I cannot keep it running, not likely. Between the ads and what I make, I can keep this place going pretty easily. Some things may need to change, but it should not be a problem. I can always ad more moderators of need be or adjust how pages are displayed. Let me worry about that side of it.

Just be nice, welcome the new guys, and appreciate the place for what it is. That new guy you are ragging on could be the next Dave Mirra, Rob-O or George French. Or it could even be one of them.

Offline Amateurhour101

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »
theres always a few new members on any board that come on and be stupid. But there are so many helpful people on here (G, Sheep, Ted@seshin) and so on that make this place really good for people who need advice on parts, or help or whatever the case is.
Quote from: Freak@FYSBMX;2279951
Fact : I had sex with 30+ girls and never tried rubbers
Fact : I probably have aids

Offline paulie

• Staff
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »
we do our best to separate the wheat from the chaff.

but some will slip through. with the combined popularity of bmx and t'interweb, were're bound to get some dicks. the hard thing (fnaar fnaar) is to realise some of these dicks are ok given some time.

there are other bmx forums out there, i think most are a bit shit. but if they're your bag, so be it, go have fun. please don't come here if you dislike it.

sheepdog and all us lot (admins and mods) try to keep a tight ship. a common criticism is that bg is too uptight. trust me, we're not. come and have a laugh, express wit. just don't be a knob.

we don't want to end up like the ride forums circa '01.
union  

everyday video editing hell

"The ship that is our industry is sinking fast and there only seems to be 20 lifeboats for 2200 passengers, and those lifeboats are only letting on friends or family."

Offline therussianbabe

• Hamster Muncher
  • Investing Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »
it does seem that latley alot of new kids who are completly retarded have shown up on here, but alot have been banned latley, one i remember inperticular is that kid with the complete fit in the bike gallery that typed like a complete retard and thought he was the sweetest and everyone else was retarded....he is now banned

Offline Cory B.

• Repset.net
    • View Profile
    • http://www.repset.net
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 09:20:41 PM »
I think banning people simply because they are knobs is way better than waiting for the knobs to break a rule.

Offline paulie

• Staff
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »
Quote from: Cory B.;2351868
I think banning people simply because they are knobs is way better than waiting for the knobs to break a rule.

nah man, that's too harsh.

most of the decent members on here were knobs when they first joined. now they're entartaining, some are even intersting. some are even admins.
union  

everyday video editing hell

"The ship that is our industry is sinking fast and there only seems to be 20 lifeboats for 2200 passengers, and those lifeboats are only letting on friends or family."

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:22:10 PM »
Quote from: Cory B.;2351868

I know it seems like the smart way to do it, but is it?

How fair is that, the person has not done anything wrong and you are banning them for it? Thought crime anyone? Not exactly fair is it? A lot of people think I treat them unfair enough as it is when they do break a rule.

I have a shitty enough reputation on a lot of other forums as it is. Many people think I am a total dick or the next coming of Hitler, I cannot imagine the reputation I would get if the staff started banning people without a good reason. Trust me, seeing your name dragged through the mud constantly gets old real fast.

Offline RigoAk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »
Doug is a pretty common name.....

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 11:20:37 PM »
i look at it this way bg is what it is and we have to deal with it

Offline jonathan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 11:23:39 PM »
do you weed out old user names that are abandoned? some people sign on, post one or two threads, then never return. (probably a wise decision on their part and evidence that there is life after bikeguide.) is this a drag on the infrastructure of the site?

Offline HeyKid Matt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 11:43:55 PM »
Without n00bs, there would be no fun. Don't be mean to them, have fun with them.
Live and let learn.
Wizard Mob

Offline Sauce Johnson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 11:46:02 PM »
Live and let live*?
waah waah waaah sheepdog doesnt like cussing in the sigs

Offline HeyKid Matt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »
Yes, but in this case, they must learn.

God live a little man.
Wizard Mob

Offline sheepdog

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »
Quote from: RigoAk;2352069
Doug is a pretty common name.....

And I suppose Bikeguide is too.

Quote from: scrapbmxrider16;2352114
i look at it this way bg is what it is and we have to deal with it

I don't see a whole lot wrong with it. Yes, it can be improved, but what can't. Compared to a lot of places I think this place is run pretty well considering the age of the people here.

Quote from: jonathan;2352118
do you weed out old user names that are abandoned? some people sign on, post one or two threads, then never return. (probably a wise decision on their part and evidence that there is life after bikeguide.) is this a drag on the infrastructure of the site?

We have in the past but the problem is that a lot of people measure a boards size and success on the number of members on the index. May not be the best way, but a lot of people do. I used to, but then realized the number of people online was a better indication. I don't like purging for that reason though.

Is it a drag on the infrastructure, no. A ton of threads can be though, especially if someone searches for a 3 or 4 letter word.

Offline adonis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 06:53:18 AM »
Good point... And it gets people into the sport (which we want)!
Reference : Hazletonbmx, Ad)( bmX, JoNnY_BoY, FlyBmxer89, Aaron J, EastYorkBMX, sircles, bonedpwinkle, 1664_bmx, danielb17

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 06:53:18 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special